Improve stderr output
With the -multi option we write way too much repeated information.
It would also be good to add a 1-line CPU info to mdrun output before the GPU detection output.
We are duplicating the messages about # of tMPI threads started
Quiet stderr output, particularly for multi-simulations
- removed printing of DD info to stderr
- printed multi-simulation information only once in places where
repetition is clearly redundant (Some repetition remains,
but only from each simulation master.)
- add option to not print result of multi-simulation check
if it passed, so that we don't have to print things to
stderr/stdout just because the .log file is not yet open
- printing of diagnostics about the number of MPI
processes present when mdrun starts only goes (once) to
each debug file, and not to stderr
- reduced printing of diagnostics about the number of OpenMP
threads; now goes to stderr only on SIMMASTER, or
once to each debug file
- clarified errors and informational messages about selecting
the number of OpenMP threads
#6 Updated by Mark Abraham about 7 years ago
- Category set to mdrun
- Assignee set to Mark Abraham
The NODEID and NNODES output has been useful on gmx-users to help users work out that they failed to configure with MPI, but the new header information about the execution context replaces that.
I'll take care of this one when I see if #1024 is working
#9 Updated by Erik Lindahl about 7 years ago
As we discussed in the patch about adding hardware info, I think the important part is to have all hardware info in the log, and since we have it there it should be fine.
If we keep adding info to stdout, we are just encouraging the user to mention some of their config and guess the rest, instead of properly attaching their logfile to an error message.