Release checklist » History » Version 3
- add new redmine version targets
- bump bugs that won't get fixed in time to next version (or untag a version number)
- merge in appropriate branches from earlier releases
- announce release schedule - give devs a week or two to fix things they intended to fix, provide links to gerrit and redmine pages for that branch/version
- bump shared object minor version for point releases
- consider bumping shared object major version for point releases - see cmake/gmxVersionInfo.cmake for policy
- check for new GROMACS papers that should be mentioned in source and manual
- run release workflow a few days in advance to check things work - this also builds the tarball correctly, when the RELEASE checkbox is ticked, which we need for updating the REGRESSIONTEST_MD5SUM in cmake/gmxVersionInfo.cmake - TODO automate this along the lines of the regressiontests auto-builder
- Mark get that script out: upload source tarball to FTP site, give correct permissions, check link works.
- update News on front of GROMACS web page - http://www.gromacs.org/
- TODO make notes of what goes into this commit and the one that follows the tagged commit - tag the commit from which the tarball was made, and do explicit upload to gerrit.gromacs.org repo, also update REGRESSIONTEST_BRANCH if needed (major release), sometimes bump GMX_VERSION_* variables
- once the gerrit change is submitted and the release email sent, make tag of the correct form in local repo
- bump version in cmake/gmxVersionInfo.cmake in the commit following the tag.
- add new stub file for release notes for next version, and entry in index.rst
- git push --tags to gerrit repo
- later, check tags propagate to gromacs and github
- post on gmx-users and gmx-announce.
- post on Google+ and Facebook pages
- thank gmx-developers
- bump/close/update open redmine issues
- close completed redmine versions
TODO some recent examples of post-release emails